Cherry Creek Academy was established in 1995 as a public charter school serving grades K-8 in the Cherry Creek School District. The school is recognized for its rigorous academic program and high level of student achievement. As the school has continued to expand its student population the facility has also required expansion.
This project consisted of a two-story (basement and 1st floor), 17,500 sqft addition, along with renovations to the existing facility. The project elements included:
- Demolition of existing gym and lower level classrooms;
- New larger gym addition and PE storage expansion on the main level;
- New classrooms, staff spaces and storage on the lower level (basement);
- Addition of separate exterior stair and elevator;
- Addition of new administration offices on main level with updates to existing administration spaces;
- Updated flooring throughout the existing facility;
- Updated exterior sitework and landscape.
DCS provided comprehensive Owner’s Representation services, as well as, additional support and communications between Cherry Creek Academy and Cherry Creek School District.
Project challenges that were successfully addressed included:
- Phasing of construction to accommodate student/staff schedules and an occupied school building.
- Very tight sight constraints, new addition situated between the existing building and a busy street corner.
- Installation of micropile foundation system due to expansive soil conditions.
- Management of 2 different funding sources – bond funding through Cherry Creek School District and cash reserves funding from Cherry Creek Academy.
- Updated requirements from South Metro Fire District post permit approval resulting in additional scope at the end of the project. Scope included addition of 2 fire hydrants, revamp of existing fire alarm system in entire building to voice-evacuation system including addition of Bi-Directional Amplification (BDA) system. The additional scope was not included in the original project schedule, however was able to be expedited and completed within summer break to allow for school to start on schedule.